School Counseling Advisory Council
Typically 8 – 15 people who have a vested interest in the school counseling program who meet twice a year.
Link between the school counseling program and the various groups to be served and should include members from the following stakeholder groups:
- Business/Community members
- Post-Secondary Representatives
The Advisory Council:
- Serves in a leadership role to support the mission and goals of the school counseling program.
- Provides a communication link between the school counseling program and the five stakeholder groups.
- Acts as a resource and support for the school counseling program.
- Reviews data and provides feedback on the effectiveness of the school counseling program.
- Contributes ideas regarding the needs of the various stakeholder groups.
What is a School Counseling Plan?
§ 339.31. Plan There shall be a written plan on file, approved by the local board of school directors, for the development and implementation of a comprehensive, sequential program of school counseling services for kindergarten through 12th grade. The plan must include procedures to provide for school counseling services to AVTSs. Upon request, the plan shall be submitted to the Secretary.
K-12 Guidance Plan Outline
- School Counselors and Assignments: The names and responsibility areas of all counselors.
- School Counseling Department Mission Statement: The Mission should reflect the mission of the school district.
- Program Goals: Describe your major program goals connected to the mission of the school district in all three domains: Academic; Career; Personal/Social
Attach a narrative paragraph next to each stakeholder group describing their role in your program.
Role of the School Counselor:
* As a Leader
* As an Advocate
* As a Collaborator
* As an Agent of Systemic Change
- Advisory Council: Describe general intent and a list of names, stakeholders, and tentative dates of future meetings
- Program Calendar: Attach any calendars developed for the K-12 Program.
- Program Delivery: Attach the 4 column delivery system template for each grade band or by grade.
- Curriculum Action Plan: Describe all activities/interventions delivered in all three domains. (Use black for current and red for proposed).
- Organizing Career/Post-Secondary Resources: Describe specifically how you will connect and build your program to business/community and post-secondary stakeholders in the career domain. (Use the organizing Career Resources document).
- Individualized Academic/Career Plan: (All students beginning in 8th grade) Describe strategy for developing and sustaining this tool and the components of the plan and how it will be revisited yearly until graduation in 12th grade. (Attach and describe the sample template.)
- Career and Technical Center Strategy: Describe your activities/events and Interventions for increasing awareness for student/parents and educators regarding your local Career and Technical Center. Include these in your curriculum action plan and stakeholder strategy charts. Report data on how many students currently attend their completion rates and set goals for increasing retention rates once they attend the CTC (Use the Data Collection Form to report this).
- Job Descriptions: Attach job descriptions that your district has developed for all counselors at all levels.